Wednesday, January 14, 2015

And It Shall Be No More



Photo Courtesy of: Gamertherapist.com
“….And they shall be safe in their land, and shall know that I am the Lord, when I have broken the bands of their yoke, and delivered them out of the hand of those that served themselves of them. And they shall no more be a prey to the heathen…” (Ezekiel 34:27-28)

This post discusses one of, if not the biggest enemy known to man: Addiction. Addiction as defined by Merriam Webster dictionary states: A strong and harmful need to regularly have something (such as a drug) or do something (like gamble) and to have an unusually great interest in something or a need to do or have something.
For the sake of this discussion I want to focus on that part of the definition that states, “A strong and harmful need to regularly have something…” and that something was nicotine. I was a smoker for almost 20+ years, smoking almost a pack and a half a day. I tried the patch a few times as well as Chantix, both of which failed miserably.
I remember once having stopped a long time ago when I first gave my life to Christ, for about 6 years. Like an idiot, I forced it back down my lungs again when I began experiencing marital problems. But on Jan 7th my life changed.
I was watching a video clip on Facebook where a bold woman of God by the name of Dr. Iona Lott from Detroit, Michigan was asking the question, “Are you a Christian? Or, is Christ In? What the evangelist said had me doing a self-examination and further provoked me to take a good hard look in the mirror. What was my life really saying about my relationship with my Father? How was I really portraying my love toward Him? Myself? And equally as important, my children and grandchildren? What was I allowing this addiction (bondage in action) to do to me?
The answer that night just as it is this night is simply, “I want to live…an abundant life.” I want to live a little longer and most certainly a lot better; healthy and whole. I saw how my grandmother died from smoking. Emphysema is one of the most aggrandizing illnesses a person can suffer and I refuse to go out that way.
Lying there in bed I “turned my face to the wall” as King Hezekiah did and said to my Father, “I don’t want to die like this – I need you to take this dreadful addiction away and please don’t let me be tortured with the taste, and struggle of giving this up.” I experienced a miracle!!! Within minutes of asking and believing it was done! I was freed! It didn’t take 12 Steps, 12 patches, 12 more times, nor 12 more prescriptions of anything…it took the power of God to release me from such horrible bondage. I feel like a prisoner being freed from a horrible dungeon. With tears of joy and gladness of heart I purposely regale this experience so that it will give others hope of being liberated from whatever addictions they may be challenged with. It happened for me in an instant – that means it can happen for others as well.

Have you ever experienced anything similar to this? Are you currently challenged with an addiction of any kind? Or, have you just recently been freed from one? I’d love to hear about it. Let’s talk.
L.G.
P.S. If you want to view the highly-impacting video that made me confront myself, please visit the URL below:

No comments:

Post a Comment